Disability Documentation Guidelines

Student Accessibility Services (SAS) - Disability Verification Form


Student Accessibility Services (SAS) provides support services for students with diagnosed disabilities. SAS utilizes an interactive, case-by-case approach when determining eligibility for services and reasonable accommodations. Students requesting accommodations from SAS may be required to provide documentation regarding their specific disability. This documentation should demonstrate a disability covered under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (and the ADA As Amended in 2008). The ADA defines a disability as a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities.


Appropriate documentation should include, but is not limited to, the following:


  1. Completed by a licensed professional and/or properly credentialed professional (e.g. medical doctor, psychiatrist, psychologist, counselor, speech-language pathologist, etc.). SAS does not accept documentation completed by diagnosing /treating professionals related to the student requesting accommodations.
  2. All parts of the disability verification form should be completed as thoroughly as possible. Where appropriate, summary and data from specific test results should be attached. If a comprehensive diagnostic report is available that provides the requested information it can be submitted in lieu of the disability verification form.
  3. A learning disability assessment should include (a) a measure of cognitive aptitude (preferably normed for adults) and (b) a measure of achievement in reading, math and/or written language. Data should be based on age norms and reported as standard scores and percentiles.
  4. The information provided on the disability verification form is maintained by SAS according to the guidelines of the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974. This information may be released to the student upon their written request. 


Please note, an Individual Education Plan (IEP), a 504 Plan, or a Summary of Performance, while helpful in establishing a record of supported accommodations, may not be enough in and of themselves to establish the presence of a disability at the postsecondary level. 


Please contact Student Accessibility Services at Trumbull at (330) 675-8932 with questions. Thank you for your assistance.