Learning Center Employment
The Learning Center at Kent State at Trumbull is continuously seeking knowledgeable and highly motivated students for tutoring positions. Students applying for the job must display an excellent understanding of the subject matter enjoy working with college students of all ages, have an empathic understanding of their needs, and have excellent communication skills.
- Assist tutees with academic problems and concerns through a variety of learning techniques.
- Maintain a professional demeanor while conducting tutoring sessions.
- Enable tutees to become independent, responsible learners.
- Demonstrate trust and confidentiality.
- Take responsibility for the appearance of the Learning Center.
- Foster an environment conducive to learning.
- Proctor exams for professors at scheduled times.
- Maintain a cumulative 3.0 GPA.
- Submit 2 letters of recommendation. One letter must be from a professor in your tutoring area.
- Register for a minimum of 6 credit hours for each semester of tutoring.
- Complete a one credit Peer Tutoring class (UC 20203) during the first semester of tutoring.
- Submit a sample of your academic writing. English and Writing tutoring.
BENEFITS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Enjoy working with and meeting other highly motivated students.
- Develop professional relationships with Learning Center coordinators, faculty, and staff.
- Enjoy a flexible work schedule. Schedule your work around your classes.
- Save on traveling expenses by working at the university.
- Build your resume by working with students and professionals.
- Reinforce the knowledge of your subject area by explaining information to students.
- Improve interpersonal skills by working with students and staff.
- Learn to understand the academic needs of others.
- Develop an understanding of individual learning and teaching styles.
- Help students to adjust their learning styles to the teaching styles of their professors.