Frequently Asked Questions

Below is a list of frequently asked questions. As always, please don’t hesitate to reach out to your admissions counselor, Melissa Kuneli at or 330-675-8862.


Application Type

  • What type of application should I fill out?
    • Please reference this chart
  • Can I apply to more than one campus to keep my options open?
    • No, we ask that you apply to only one campus (for any given term). If you change your mind, please email Melissa Kuneli or call 330-675-8862 to change your campus choice.
  • Do I need to reapply if I am a former student of Kent State University?
    • If you have not attended anywhere else since Kent State, you may be able to simply reenroll. If you were dismissed, you may need to be reinstated. If you have attended somewhere else, you will need to reapply. More Information
  • What if I have been dismissed or suspended from another school?
    • You will need to complete a personal explanation statement in addition to the normal transfer application. Please contact our admissions office for this form.
  • If I have College Credit Plus (CCP) credits, should I apply as a transfer student?
    • No, apply as a new freshman if you have not attended college post-high school.
  • What is a “Guest Student” application for?
    • If you are currently enrolled at another institution and plan to take just a few classes at Kent State Trumbull for your degree somewhere else, please fill out a guest application.
  • Do I need to reapply if I applied as a transfer and meant to apply as a guest?
    • Yes, but if you log into the application website most of your information will auto fill. Please also call our admissions office to have us withdraw your transfer application
  • PLEASE NOTE: You need to submit a personal explanation statement if you answer “Yes” to either of the following admission application questions:
    • “Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offense or have charges pending against you at this time?”
    • “Have you ever been dismissed, suspended or placed on probation by any other college or university for a NON-ACADEMIC reason?”


  • How do I have my transcripts sent to you?
    • Look on the website for the school you attended. Different schools have different procedures for transcript requests. eTranscripts can be sent to Traci Nevinski. Paper copies can be mailed to:

Office of Admissions
Kent State University at Trumbull
4314 Mahoning Avenue NW
Warren OH 44483

  • I don’t see the option to send my transcript to Kent State Trumbull. What should I choose?
    • Choose “Kent State University.” After it is sent to the Kent Campus it will come to us.
  • Can I just send you my copy of the transcript I have?
    • It depends. It is only considered official if it is in the original, unopened envelope with the school’s seal on it. Electronic versions need to come directly from your school in order to be official. 
  • What if my school is closed and I can’t get my transcripts?
    • Start by doing a web search for “official transcript request from …” with the name of the school. 
    • If it is a closed career college in the state of Ohio, please contact the State Board of Career Colleges and Schools at (877) 275-4219 or visit the website.
    • Feel free to contact us if you are having trouble so we can be aware of the issue and can help if we are able. 
  • What if I owe money to a school I previously attended, and they won’t release my transcripts?
    • We cannot accept you without your official transcripts. You will likely need to pay any outstanding balances in order to have them release your transcripts.
  • I didn’t finish high school, but I have a GED. Can I still be accepted?
    • Yes, instead of a high-school transcript, we will need your GED, HiSET, or another proficiency report.

Application Status

  • How can I find out what is still needed on my application?
  • What if I don’t know my login ID or PIN to check my application status?
    • Request a new PIN. If you do not receive it the first time, please try again. Please make sure you use the same email address that you used on your first application.
  • I have already submitted everything for my application. Why did I still get an email stating it is incomplete?
    • Official transcript requests are not always an instant process. You are welcome to call us to double-check your application status, but we recommend waiting at least one week for your application to be updated after your transcript request. 
  • How do I withdraw or cancel my admissions application?
    • Email Melissa Kuneli or call 330-675-8862 our admissions office to have us withdraw your application.
  • What happens when I am accepted?
    • Within 1-2 weeks, you will receive an acceptance packet in the mail. The information inside is very important, so please read it carefully and follow the instructions.

New Freshmen

  • What if my high school doesn’t use a 4.0 grading scale or uses a weighted GPA?
    • Your GPA will be converted to a 4.0 grading scale before you are admitted. The recalculated GPA will be what we use to determine scholarship eligibility.
  • If I went to a technical or career center during high school, do they need to send you my transcript?
    • No, just have your home high school send us your transcript. On your application, put your home high school and not the name of your tech/career center.

Articulated Credits

  • How can I use my cosmetology or other licenses toward a college degree?
    • Apply for admission and then fill out an articulated credit application. More Information 

Transfer Students

  • How can I find out what classes transfer?
    • Once you are admitted, our transfer center will complete an official transfer evaluation with your official transcripts. You can then have a conversation with your academic advisor about the results. If you have questions about a specific course, please email an advisor
  • Will a low GPA from my former college transfer to Kent State?
    • Your GPA will not transfer to Kent State, but sometimes grades from certain courses may be used as a pre-requisite for a selective program such as nursing.
  • How many credits do I need to take from Kent State before I can graduate with an associate degree with credits from a prior institution?
    • 15 credits
  • How many credits do I need to take from Kent State before I can graduate with a bachelor’s degree with credits from a prior institution?
    • 30 credits, 9 of which need to be upper-division in your major.

Online Programs

  • I selected the Kent Campus on my application, so why am I receiving communications from the Trumbull Campus?
    • You may have applied for an online program that is facilitated by the Trumbull Campus. While your advisors and professors will be at the Trumbull Campus, you should not ever need to physically come to the Trumbull Campus. Furthermore, your diploma at graduation will still state “Kent State University.” 
  • If you still think there was a mistake in your campus choice, please call or email us.


  • I was deferred admission from the Kent Campus. Does this mean I can never go to the Kent Campus?
    • Not necessarily. If you start at a regional campus and complete any developmental coursework plus at least 12 credit hours of college courses with an overall GPA of 2.0 or higher, you can then transition to the Kent Campus. Go to the website and scroll down to “Kent Campus Referrals.” 
    • You can instantly be admitted to a regional campus if your application from the Kent Campus was already complete. Please email Melissa Kuneli or call 330-675-8862 if you have questions. Note: You will probably save money by starting at a regional campus, as tuition is about 40% lower than the Kent Campus tuition.
  • What is the difference between the Kent Campus and the Trumbull Campus?
    • Selective admission versus open admission
      • Admission at the Trumbull Campus is open-access, which means that you will be accepted if you complete the three-step application process (online application, application fee, and official transcripts from all attended institutions). Note: You must have at least a high school diploma or equivalent such as GED or HiSET.
    • Cost difference
      • Tuition at the Trumbull Campus is about 40% lower than at the Kent Campus. You will also not have to pay for on-campus housing, because there are no residence halls on campus. Even though you pay less for your education, your diploma will still say “Kent State University.”