Dr. Cubon's research utilizes advanced neuroimaging techniques to investigate brain diseases and disorders. She is currently studying the effects of sports-related concussion and traumatic brain injury. After an athlete has suffered a concussion, cognitive function and the integrity of white matter fiber tract structure in the brain are assessed using non-invasive functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging (fMRI) and Diffusion Tensor Imaging (DTI) in combination with neuropsychological testing. Further research interests include investigating the effects of military concussions and exploring potential biomarkers able to identify a concussion and its severity.
Cubon VA, Murugavel M, Holmes KW, Dettwiler A. Preliminary evidence from a prospective DTI study suggests a posterior‐to‐anterior pattern of recovery in college athletes with sports‐related concussion. Brain Behav. 2018;e01165
- Cubon VA, Murugavel M, Holmes KW, Dettwiler A. Preliminary evidence from a prospective DTI study suggests a posterior‐to‐anterior pattern of recovery in college athletes with sports‐related concussion. Brain Behav. 2018;e01165
- Murugavel, M.; Cubon, V.; Putukian, M.; Echemendia, R.; Cabrera, J., Osherson, D.; Dettwiler, A.; A Longitudinal Diffusion Tensor Imaging Study Assessing White Matter Fiber Tracts after Sports-Related Concussion. J Neurotraum. 2014, 31, 1860-1871.
- Dettwiler, A.; Murugavel, M.; Putukian, M.; Cubon, V.; Furtado, J.; Osherson, D. Persistent Differences in Patterns of Brain Activation after Sports-Related Concussion: A Longitudinal Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging Study. J Neurotraum. 2014, 3
- Cubon, V.A.; Putukian, M.; Boyer, C.; Dettwiler, A. A Diffusion Tensor Imaging Study on the White Matter Skeleton in Individuals with Sports-Related Concussion. J Neurotraum. 2011, 28, 189-201.
- Outstanding Teaching Award (2016) presented by the University Teaching Council at Kent State University
- Margaret and Herman Sokol University Fellowship in Chemistry (2007)
- Wyeth 3rd Year Seminar Award (2006)
- Walker McKinney ’50 Life Sciences Fellowship (2004)
- NASA Glenn Distinguished Publication Award (2003)
- American Institute of Chemists Award (2003)