Alumni Return to Campus for Hall of Fame & Alumni Awards Dinner
On the warm evening of Saturday, August 21st, shielded from the sun by a beautiful tent in the College parking lot, the Kent State University College of Podiatric Medicine (CPM) community reunited for its first in-person celebration in two years. The Hall of Fame & Alumni Awards Dinner is CPM’s signature tradition which serves to honor alumni for their service to the podiatric medical community and loyalty to their alma mater. Though this year’s celebration looked a bit different, it may have been the most significant gathering in the College’s recent history.
In effort to keep the dinner intimate and safe for all, a small group of alumni and community members were invited to campus to recognize both the College’s 2020 and 2021 honorees. While the guest list was nearly half the size of past events, the impact of fellowship in the dinner tent and later, in the College’s lecture hall where the award ceremony was held, was only magnified. CPM Dean Dr. Allan Boike opened the ceremony by expressing his excitement to be sharing the evening with his alma mater and encouraging guests to take stock in the gravity of togetherness. “Soak in the room around you-,” Boike told the crowd, “-those sitting next to you, those in the rows in front of and behind you. Consider the significance of this evening and of being in one another’s presence once again – an honor in which I’m certain we won’t soon take for granted.”
The following alumni were recognized during the awards ceremony:
- Marc Lenet, DPM, Class of 1970 – 2020 Hall of Fame Inductee
- James Dooley, DPM, Class of 1968 – 2020 Hall of Fame Inductee
- David Alper, DPM, Class of 1983 – 2021 Hall of Fame Inductee
- Robert “Tim” Yoho, DPM, Class of 1985 – 2021 Hall of Fame Inductee
- Frank Luckino, DPM, Class of 2011 – 2020 Young Physician Professional Award
- Lauren Kishman, DPM, Class of 2011 – 2021 Young Physician Professional Award
- Debra Thornton, DPM, Class of 1986 – 2020 Alumni Service Award
- Coleman Clougherty, DPM, Class of 2012 – 2021 Alumni Service Award
- Robert “Tim” Yoho, DPM, Class of 1985 – 2020 Distinguished Alumni Award
In addition to alumni honorees, several scholarships were presented to current, high-achieving students during the ceremony, which echoes the cause of these traditional events whose proceeds benefit CPM scholarship funds.
- Marcus Soileau, MSIV – Thomas V. Melillo Full Tuition Scholarship funded by The Podiatry Foundation
- Annie Profeta, MSIV – White Coat Scholarship
- Tobin Huffman, MSIII – Young Leader Scholarship
- Gifferd Ko, MSIV – Gerard V. Yu Education Scholarship funded by donations made in honor of Gerard V. Yu
- Kyle Williams, MSIII – Founders Scholarship
- Hamidat Momoh, MSIV – Diversity in Medicine Scholarship
- Jordyn Singerman, MSIII – Service Scholarship
- Diamond Brown, MSIV – OPMSA Outstanding Podiatric Medical Student Award
A livestream was made available for those not in attendance wishing to celebrate along at home and is now archived on a webpage created for the 2022 Alumni Reunion Weekend: https://www.kent.edu/cpm/2022HOFAwards . Next year, the College is hoping to return to its traditional weekend-long celebration which encourages all current students, staff and faculty to join alumni in the fun.