Student-centered, experiential learning for young conductors led by faculty artist-practitioners
We offer a M.M. in Conducting with concentrations available in Choral, Orchestral and Wind Band conducting. Undergraduate students take conducting classes as part of their degree requirements in composition, performance and music education.
|Dr. Jungho Kim, Director of Orchestra|
|Dr. Scott MacPherson, Director of Choral Studies|
|Dr. Wendy K. Matthews, Director of Bands|
Experiential Learning and Mentorship
Work closely with faculty mentors who are active conductors and scholars.
Time on the Podium
- Each area accepts a limited number of graduate conducting students, allowing for significant time on the podium in both rehearsal and performance.
- Guided by their faculty mentors, past graduate students have the Kent State University Orchestra, Kent Chorale, Kent Wind Ensemble, Kent Symphony Band, Community Band, Men's and Women's Choruses, Kent State Opera and more.
Private Lessons, Courses and Seminars
- Graduate conducting students also work with their faculty mentors one-on-one to hone in on gesture, score study and preparation, and rehearsal techniques.
- Performance pedagogy and historical practice are also covered.
- A survey of literature appropriate to the student’s concentration is required.
- Culturally rich Northeast Ohio offers young conductors the opportunity to work with the many bands, choirs and orchestras that call the region home.
- Many conducting students choose to participate in additional choral or instrumental ensembles.
- Conducting students may also audition to take applied voice or instrumental lessons.
- A limited number of assistantships are available providing tuition remission up to 8 credits and a stipend.
- Click here for the most up-to-date information and likely availability.
Degrees and Programs Offered
|M.M. in Conducting|
QUESTIONS OR WANT MORE INFORMATION?
Glauser School Admissions
email@example.com | 330-672-2172