Academic Services offers the following placement testing:
- ALEKS placement testing (may be taken online from home)
- ALEKS re-assessment (must be taken at the Geauga Campus or Twinsburg Academic Center)
- ACCUPLACER Reading and WritePlacer®
Admitted students should review the information listed below to determine if they need to take any placement tests. Placement test results are used by academic advisors to determine proper course placement. There is no fee to take placement tests; however, only students admitted to Kent State University at Geauga and the Twinsburg Academic Center can take the placement tests.
College Credit Plus (includes students in grades 7 - 12)
- If you do not have ACT or SAT scores, or your scores are over two years old, you will need to take the ACCUPLACER Reading and WritePlacer® placement exam.
- Specific Accuplacer testing times are available for CCP students. View the complete list.
New Freshman (includes any student who has never attended college)
- If you do not have ACT or SAT scores; your scores are over two years old; or your acceptance packet indicates you need to test, you will need to take the ACCUPLACER Reading and WritePlacer® placement exam and/or the ALEKS Math assessment.
- If you have current ACT or SAT scores that meet the state’s remediation-free standards, those scores will be used to place you into English and Reading courses and help place you into the correct Math course. Certain majors require students to take the ALEKS math assessment regardless of ACT/SAT scores. Please refer to your acceptance packet or contact the Admissions Office to see if you need to take ALEKS.
Transfer Students (includes any student who has previously attended college)
- If you have not successfully passed (C or better) college-level English and/or Math, you will need to take Accuplacer and/or ALEKS.
- If you have successfully passed college-level English and Math, you will not need to take any assessments, unless your degree program requires it (e.g., Associate Degree in Nursing).
- Please refer to your acceptance packet or contact the Admissions Office if you are unsure if you need to test.
How to Take ALEKS and ACCUPLACER Reading and WritePlacer®
ALEKS: View the Kent website for more information on how to take ALEKS.
ACCUPLACER: To schedule an appointment to take ACCUPLACER, register online at the campus location of your choice.
Test Preparation: While not required, we encourage students to take advantage of free test preparation materials available at the following links: ALEKS Test Prep, ACCUPLACER Reading Test Prep, and Writeplacer Test Prep.
- Please contact our Academic Services Department at with any questions you may have about test preparation.
|TBD||TBD||Geauga Campus||Twinsburg Academic Center|
Notice Regarding Placement Testing
At this time Kent State Geauga and the Twinsburg Academic Center are actively working on a solution to providing ACCUPLACER Reading and WritePlacer® Testing for our students. We will provide an update as soon as possible. In the meantime, feel free to reach out to us by email or call 440-834-3777.