Animation Game Design - B.S.
Computer/Technology Suggested Specifications
Windows is the preferred operating system over Mac so that students may run the Windows-only Unreal Engine (required software) on their computers.
- Set a budget first and foremost, then shop to match your budget.
- Processor: Some type of AMD Ryzen /Intel i5 / i7 eight core CPU (minimum).
- Minimum 16 GB of system RAM, 32 GB is better for running multiple development tools at once.
- Minimum GTX 1660 / 1060 GPU (4-6GB video memory, minimum) Minimum of Solid State Disk (SSD) for windows + applications + regular HDD (for storage of other files) if at all possible. 500 GB - 1 TB capacity preferred.
- Laptops cost more due to being compact and portable compared to a desktop system. CPU and GPU upgrades also cost a great deal more if they are available.
We also strongly advise buying a drawing tablet (though it's not required). We recommend Wacom brand tablets since that is what our lab computers have drivers for. The Wacom Intuos tablet line has several options under $100. There is also an educational discount for students once your kent.edu email is provided.
Examples of Possible Careers and Salaries
Notice:* Source of occupation titles and labor data comes from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics' Occupational Outlook Handbook. Data comprises projected percent change in employment over the next 10 years; nation-wide employment numbers; and the yearly median wage at which half of the workers in the occupation earned more than that amount and half earned less.
Graduates of Animation and Game Design programs normally work in studios specializing in 2D and 3D digital graphics, architectural visualization, virtual and augmented reality, interactive training simulations, as well as the broadcast and entertainment industries. As a field where professionals routinely integrate the work of multiple visual and audio media, students are encouraged to work collaboratively across disciplines. Our selection of major electives likewise offers students pathways for building skills and knowledge in related areas. Our graduates are employed in recent years at the companies below:
- Moving Picture Company, Montreal, Quebec- Visual effects artist
- High Moon Studios, San Diego, CA - Associate level designer
- Epic Games, Raleigh, NC - Game capture specialist
- Enhearten Media, Queensland, Australia - Social media manager
- Strife AI, Akron, OH - artist/animator
- Objective Reality Games, Chillicothe, OH - Artist/animator
- Roundtable Learning, Chagrin Falls, OH - 3D Designer
- Smolen Engineering, Ltd., Jefferson, OH - Drafting Technician
- DataField Technology Services, Worthington, OH - Illustrator/3D Artist
- EAC Product Development Solution, Minneapolis, MN - Technical Instructor
- EA Games, Redwood City, CA - Associate Technical Artist
- Cloud Imperium Games, Los Angeles, CA - Character Technical Artist
- AlterVerse, Inc., Lake Shore, MN - Quest Gameplay Designer
- Hoversport Studios LLC, Lakewood, OH
- Gylee Games, Cincinnati, OH - Level Designer