Information Technology (BSIT)
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY (BSIT)
The Bachelor of Science in Information Technology degree in Information Technology provides students with an applied approach that focuses on supporting end users in a variety of workplace settings by utilizing a range of computing technologies. The degree program gives students the tools to support computing and network infrastructures and the needs of individuals and organizations, write programs necessary to help them render their tasks more efficiently on their desktop or mobile devices, utilize databases and write the web-based interfaces to pull the data, and code and deploy applications across the cloud.
Graduates are qualified to work in a wide range of computer and network infrastructures in small to large sized enterprises in such positions as: web or software developer; hardware, network, cloud, virtualization technician or engineer; IT support specialist or consultant; help desk, network, or IT project manager; security or forensic analyst; and systems, network or database administrator in all sectors of business, education, manufacturing, healthcare, non-profit, and government.
The Information Technology major comprises the following concentrations:
- The Application Development concentration provides students with the ability to program in languages typically utilized in contemporary business environments. Students will code in applications such as Visual Basic, C++, Java, C# and other industry-standard applications to develop programs employing event-driven and object-oriented techniques.
- The Applied Computer Security and Forensics concentration places an emphasis on security of computer and network systems, including forensic work to prevent and/or determine and correct security issues utilizing “cybersecurity” devices, procedures, tools, and solutions.
- The Database Design and Administration concentration focuses on skills needed to become a database manager. Topics include relational database design; working with database servers, users, and permissions; SQL statements used for queries and reports; and incorporating databases into programming used in web-based and desktop forms.
- The Health Information Technology concentration provides students with the tools to install, manage, troubleshoot and secure hardware and software systems in healthcare environments. The course of study includes health IT privacy, security, EHR Implementation and support, mobile device management, technology and application life-cycle management, organizational behavior, medical business operations and regulatory requirements.
- The Integrated Information Technology concentration is ideal for students who want a flexible course of study for positions that require IT staff to perform a wide range of technical duties.
- The Internet/Multimedia concentration focuses on scripting, server-side form handling, web database integration, and interactive and dynamic multimedia Internet development.
- The Networking concentration focuses on configuring and maintaining network information systems and components in various network operating system and cloud computing environments that are prevalent in today's businesses. The emphasis is on network administration (i.e. managing Active Directory and network services), servers, workstations, virtualization, security, troubleshooting, installation, and maintenance.
THIS PROGRAM IS RIGHT FOR YOU IF
You enjoy learning about new and upcoming technologies.
You like to help people and have good communication skills.
- You like a balance of working with your hands and in an office setting.
THIS PROGRAM WILL TEACH YOU
- Identify and evaluate current technologies and assess their applicability to address individual and organizational needs
- Develop a product or process by applying knowledge of programming, web, digital media, database, human computer interaction, networking and security tools
- Perform end user support including identifying and implementing solutions to user requests
- Explain implementation, integration and maintenance for IT applications to a wide range of audiences
- Work in diverse project teams to develop and/or implement IT-based solutions
- Apply professional ethics in IT solutions
- Engage in continuous learning, as well as research and assess new ideas and information to provide the capabilities for lifelong learning