First Step is Kent State University at Stark's freshman advising and registration program.
It's how new freshmen register for classes.
We realize that college is an exciting and challenging time for you and your family, so we've developed First Step to help you make a smooth transition to your life as a college student.
Who attends First Step?
First Step is required for all new Kent State Stark freshmen (recent high school graduates).
How will I receive my invitation to attend First Step?
After you are admitted, your First Step invitation will be mailed to your home address. Your invitation is customized specifically to you and includes instructions that you will need to follow in order to participate in First Step. Once you receive your invitation, you should also check your Kent State email for your link to register to attend First Step.
- FALL Admission: Invitations will be mailed in late February; or after you've been admitted
- SPRING Admission: Invitations will be mailed in early November; or after you've been admitted
How do I register for First Step?
Check your mail at your home address for your invitation to attend First Step. Your invitation letter will indicate which placement tests you are required to take before you can attend the program. We use your placement test results to provide you with accurate class options on your First Step day. An email will also be sent to your Kent State email with the direct link to register for a First Step day. Choose a First Step date that best fits your schedule. We urge you to attend the earliest First Step day possible for the best course selection.
What is covered during First Step?
First Step takes place from 9:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. and includes:
- an advising workshop to prepare the student to select classes when meeting with an academic advisor
- a Paying for College session that outlines the funding sources, deadlines and tuition payment methods
- meeting one-on-one with an academic advisor to discuss course placement and register for classes
- meeting one-on-one with financial aid staff, if you choose
- getting your FLASHcard student ID
You must plan your day accordingly so that you can attend First Step for its entire duration. First Step is considered an excused absence for high school seniors and participation letters for Guidance Offices can be provided.
When does First Step take place?
- Fall 2018 First Step dates will begin March 26, 2018. Multiple dates will be offered.
- Spring 2019 First Step dates take place in December 2018.
Is there a campus tour at First Step?
Yes, you can take an optional campus tour at 8:30 a.m. before First Step begins. Indicate if you plan to take a campus tour when you make your First Step reservation.
FIRST STEP CONTACT
Office of Student Services