WELCOME NEW STUDENTS!
Now that you’ve been admitted to Kent State University at Stark, your next step is to enroll in classes through First Step, our first-year advising and registration program.
For your health and safety, we've moved the First Step program into a virtual platform. Soon you will receive an email with reservation details and instructions. We look forward to serving you and getting you acclimated to campus!
Please know that our staff is still working remotely and will respond to your emails and calls as soon as possible.
Flashes Take Care of Flashes,
Your First Step Team
WHO ATTENDS FIRST STEP?
First Step is required for all new Kent State Stark first-year students.
WHEN DOES FIRST STEP TAKE PLACE?
- Fall 2021: First Step begins in May. Multiple dates are offered.
- Spring 2022: First Step takes place in December.
HOW WILL I RECEIVE MY INVITATION TO FIRST STEP?
CHECK YOUR EMAIL.
Your First Step email invitation is customized specifically to you and includes instructions that you will need to follow in order to participate in First Step.
- Fall 2021: Invitations are emailed in early March; or after you've been admitted.
- Spring 2022: Invitations are emailed in early November; or after you've been admitted.
HOW DO I REGISTER FOR FIRST STEP?
Your email invitation will indicate which placement tests you are required to take before you can attend the program. We use your placement test results to provide you with accurate class options on your First Step day. Choose a First Step date that best fits your schedule. We urge you to attend the earliest First Step day possible for the best course selection.
WHAT IS COVERED DURING FIRST STEP?
First Step takes place from 12:30 to 5 p.m. and includes:
- an advising workshop to prepare you to select classes when meeting with an academic advisor
- meeting individually with an academic advisor to discuss course placement and register for classes
- a Welcome Team panel
Plan your day accordingly so that you can attend First Step for its entire duration.
CAN I TAKE A CAMPUS TOUR?
DO I NEED TO FILE THE FAFSA?
Yes, even if you don't think you may qualify for aid, you should still file the FAFSA. Financial Aid representatives will follow up with you after First Step to make sure your financial aid is ready to go. Reach out to Student Financial Aid to get a head start on your financial aid.