KENT STATE STARK RISING SCHOLARS PROGRAM
The Kent State University at Stark Rising Scholars Program provides students from Stark County a college-access program designed to give them and their families the knowledge, rigorous academic exposure and social support they will need to be successful at a world-class university.
Rising Scholars helps to give first-generation and underrepresented students a pathway to achieve a college degree. The high school portion of the program is offered at no cost to participants. Our goal is for every student in the program to have the opportunity to complete their postsecondary education with the credentials necessary to succeed in their future career.
Students from the class of 2028 and beyond who successfully complete the high school portion of the program will be eligible to receive a Rising Scholars scholarship for $2,000 per year over four years at Kent State Stark. Through financial aid advising, we will assist families in seeking additional support through other scholarships and grants so that the cost of achieving a college degree will be as low as possible.
CREATING A PATH FROM POVERTY TO PROSPERITY
The Rising Scholars program goals are to:
- Increase high school graduation rates, enhance college readiness and improve college/postsecondary attendance in urban and rural counties.
- Prepare a technically skilled, professionally trained workforce to promote economic growth in the region.
- Support the success of students who have promising academic ability, but may not have access to social and educational opportunities that will allow them to reach their potential.
- Provide sponsored scholarships to help cover tuition at Kent State Stark for Rising Scholars and their student mentors.
THE RISING SCHOLARS PROGRAM INCLUDES
- Year-round enrichment workshops focused on STEM subjects, personal leadership, academic motivation, college readiness, career exploration and civic engagement
- Earn college credits through the College Credit Plus (CCP) program while in high school
- Summer sessions offering applied learning and service experiences
- Academic and financial aid advising
- Mentoring and social support
- Parent workshops
WHO CAN APPLY?
Interested students can apply in the fall of their 8th grade school year. Our current Rising Scholars partners are:
- Canton City School District - McKinley High School
- Alliance City School District - Alliance High School
- Canton Local School District - Canton South High School
- Plain Local School District - GlenOak High School
- Fairless Local School District - Fairless High School