Rising Scholars Selection Criteria
To be a Rising Scholar, students should meet the following selection criteria:
- Students must be enrolling in 9th grade for the first time.
- Students must be potential first-generation college students. This means that parents, step-parents or legal guardians cannot hold a four-year college degree at the time of application.
- Students must be income eligible with a family income of no more than 200% of the federal poverty level (pdf).
- Students must possess the desire to earn a postsecondary certification or degree.
- Students and their parents or guardians must be willing to participate in the program and its activities.
- Students must have a strong attendance record and grades that reflect a potential to do well in college (minimum 2.7 GPA).
- Educators are encouraged to prioritize siblings of current Rising Scholars if they meet other qualifications.
- Students must submit reference information from a counselor or teacher as part of their completed application form.
The application for admission will be available in October for current partner school districts.