Theatre Auditions for These Shining Lives on January 25 & 26
Kent State University at Stark Theatre has announced open auditions for the third theatrical production of the season, These Shining Lives by Melanie Marnich, and directed by Kent State Stark Assistant Professor of Theatre and Theatre Director Brian Newberg. Auditions are open to everyone, including students and community persons. We encourage diversity in our casting.
Set in the 1920s, this impactful true account chronicles the strength and courage of female factory workers who hand paint glow-in-the-dark watch faces. When their health declines, proving their employer has poisoned them with radium becomes a valiant legal battle. Their story of survival is beautifully tragic as they strive to improve conditions for future working women.
Auditions will be held on January 25 and 26 at 6 p.m. in the theatre of the Fine Arts Building, 6000 Frank Avenue NW in Jackson Township.
Roles are available for four women and two men. Male and female actors will be required to play multiple characters. No children. Those auditioning may perform a prepared monologue, if they wish, and the director may also choose sides (selected scene excerpts) for some to perform. The production will be performed April 22 through May 1 in the Kent State Stark Theatre. Rehearsals will begin February 29 and will occur five evenings a week until opening. Visit www.kent.edu/stark/theatre-auditions for more information about auditions for this production.
Scripts (and audition sides or scene excerpts used for the auditions) are available for perusal for periods up to 24 hours from the secretary (330-244-5151) of the Fine Arts Building, Monday through Friday, during business hours (8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.). The campus will be closed on January 18, in observance of the holiday. Audition appointments are recommended, but not required. Scripts and audition sides will also be available in the reserve area of the Stark Campus Library. To learn more about Stark Campus’ Theatre Department, visit www.kent.edu/stark/theatre.
THESE SHINING LIVES
By Melanie Marnich
April 22, 23, 29 & 30 at 8 p.m.
April 24 & May 1 (ASL interpreted) at 2:30 p.m.
VIEW SHOW DETAILS
January 25 & 26
Fine Arts Theatre
Rehearsals begin February 29 and will occur five evenings a week until opening.
Catherine Donohue - plays only herself
Frances - also plays Reporter 2, an Official
Charlotte - also plays Reporter 1
Pearl - also plays Daughter, Judge 2
Tom Donohue - also plays Dr. Rowntree, Dr. Dalitsch
Mr. Reed - also plays Radio Announcer, Company Doctor, Son, Judge, Leonard Grossma
GENERAL AUDITION INFORMATION
- Auditions are open to everyone including students and members of the community.
- Those auditioning may perform a prepared monologue, or work from sides (selected scene excerpts) chosen by the director at the auditions. For musicals, audition information pertaining to vocal ranges will be listed under the show.
- Scripts and sides are available for perusal for periods up to 24 hours from the Fine Arts secretary. Stop by or call 330-244-5151 between 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Scripts and sides will also be available in the reserve area of the Stark Campus Library.
- Audition appointments are recommended, but not required. Stop by or call 330-244-5151 to schedule an audition appointment with the Fine Arts secretary.
- Technical production opportunities are also available for Kent State Stark students; such as stage and assistant stage managers, assistants to lighting, scenic, sound, multi-media and costume designers, and crew.
- Roles available and any additional audition requirements will be listed under each show.
- Brian Newberg is the director for all of the following shows and can be reached at 330-244-3352 or firstname.lastname@example.org.