Set Up a Live TutorChat Session
Do you need help with a paper, but can’t make it to campus? The Writing Center has a solution: TutorChat! Using Google Hangouts, the Writing Center now offers synchronous online tutoring. Get all the advantages of a face-to-face tutoring session from the comfort of your home.
To use TutorChat, you will need the following:
- Internet access.
- A desktop or laptop computer is preferred, though it is possible to work on a tablet. However, please do not attempt to work from a cell phone.
- A webcam and microphone. Many devices have these built-in, but some may require you to obtain one or both separately.
- Headphones may be useful, but not required.
Scheduling a TutorChat Session through TutorTrac
- You will need to first schedule an appointment using TutorTrac.
- Go to the Writing Center's TutorTrac website.
- Enter you FlashLine username and password.
- Once logged in, click on “Search Availability…” Within the “Center” drop-field, select “Stark Writing Center.” Then click on “Search.”
- When the “Available Time Slots” screen appears, select a time slot that fits your schedule. Be aware that a session cannot be scheduled less than 24 hours ahead of time or more than 7 days in advance.
- Complete your information. Under “Reason” be sure to select “Online TutorChat Session.”
- Email your paper to firstname.lastname@example.org at least 12 hours in advance.
- You may also schedule an appointment by visiting the Writing Center on the second floor of Main Hall in room 202, or by calling us at (330) 244-3299.