WRITING CENTER UPDATE:
Effective May 18, 2020:
To slow transmission of COVID-19 and remain consistent with recommendations from state health authorities to practice physical distancing, all Kent State University campuses are closed until further notice.
As a result, the Kent State Stark Writing Center is closed and all tutoring services are suspended for the summer. However, Kent State students have access to free online writing tutoring through the Ohio Collaborative eTutoring Network.
Set Up a Live TutorChat Session
Do you need help with a paper, but can’t make it to campus? The Writing Center has a solution: TutorChat! Using Google Meet, the Writing Center now offers synchronous online tutoring. Get all the advantages of a face-to-face tutoring session from the comfort of your home.
To use TutorChat, you will need the following:
- Internet access.
- A desktop or laptop computer is preferred, though it is possible to work on a tablet. However, please do not attempt to work from a cell phone.
- A webcam and microphone. Many devices have these built-in, but some may require you to obtain one or both separately.
- Headphones may be useful, but not required.
Scheduling a TutorChat Session through TutorTrac
- You will need to first schedule an appointment using TutorTrac.
- Go to the Writing Center's TutorTrac website.
- Enter you FlashLine username and password.
- Once logged in, click on “Search Availability…” Within the “Center” drop-field, select “Stark Writing Center.” Then click on “Search.”
- When the “Available Time Slots” screen appears, select a time slot that fits your schedule. Be aware that a session cannot be scheduled less than 24 hours ahead of time or more than 7 days in advance.
- Complete your information. Under “Reason” be sure to select “Online TutorChat Session.”
- Email your paper to email@example.com at least 12 hours in advance.
- You may also schedule an appointment by visiting the Writing Center in the Library, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling us at 330-244-3299.
Instructions for Online Google Meet Session
- Check your Kent State email for link to a new Google Meet session.
- Click on the link.
- Select "Join Session."