Bachelor of Technical and Applied Studies
The Bachelor of Technical & Applied Studies degree is designed both for students beginning their academic study and for students with an associate degree or college-level coursework.
The program accommodates varied educational backgrounds, develops competencies needed for success in a variety of work settings and offers major courses in schedules attractive to traditional students and to time- and place-bound adults. Students construct a meaningful plan for using the curriculum to explore and prepare for their preferred futures by completing a cornerstone course. A capstone course features a synthesizing of learning focused on foundational competencies and developing an electronic portfolio. This enables students to collect artifacts of their learning, which can be used to advance their careers.
Students may declare one of the optional concentrations listed below within the Technical & Applied Studies major, or select the major without a concentration.
TECHNICAL & APPLIED STUDIES MAJOR (NO CONCENTRATION)
The stand-alone major offers a flexible and robust core of skills/knowledge-based courses, which bridge multiple disciplines in multiple colleges. The skills/knowledge provided by this program are civic engagement, computer literacy, critical thinking, diversity/internationalization, ethics, information literacy, leadership, self-management, oral and written communication and mathematics.
- The major (with no concentration) can be completed at Kent State Trumbull.
TECHNICAL & APPLIED STUDIES MAJOR CONCENTRATIONS
The Technical & Applied Studies major includes the following optional concentration:
- The Applied Business concentration is an option for associate degree graduates or students with a business background who choose not to pursue the B.B.A degree, or for students who would like to gain knowledge about financial management, customer service, strategic management, labor students and leadership. The concentration includes a practicum.
IS TECHNICAL & APPLIED STUDIES RIGHT FOR YOU?
The Technical & Applied Studies major may be a good fit if you have:
- Some college credit in a concentrated area
- An applied associate degree
- A desire to gain the knowledge and skills necessary to move from a technical role into a supervisory position
This major provides a blended, breadth of learning experience that is cross-disciplinary, and is quite different from the traditional degree which provides depth within a single discipline. Students who desire a major with depth in a specific discipline should consider a traditional bachelor's degree.
Technical & Applied Studies will prepare you for your next step through a capstone course that features a synthesizing of learning focused on the ten foundational competencies. An electronic portfolio displaying your work throughout the program assists with job search and career development.