The Associate of Applied Science degree in Nursing prepares students for the registered nurse profession. The curriculum is designed to meet the health care needs of the 21st century. The curriculum focuses on the registered nurse's role in the communities, hospitals, clinics, and home health care.
Graduates are eligible to take the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN).
The Nursing major comprises the following concentrations:
- The LPN to ADN concentration is a completer program for students who are licensed practical nurses.
- The Paramedic to ADN concentration is a completer program for students who are certified paramedics.
Professional Licensure Disclosure
This program is designed to prepare students to sit for applicable licensure in Ohio. If you plan to pursue licensure in a state other than Ohio, please review state educational requirements for licensure and contact information for state licensing boards at Kent State's website for professional licensure disclosure.
This Program Will Teach You
Graduates of this program will be able to:
- Use the nursing process to meet self-care demands of individuals in structured settings
- Demonstrate therapeutic communication skills in interactions with patients, families and health team members
- Perform safely the nursing skills and techniques identified in all nursing courses
- Function within the legal and ethical guidelines of the nursing role as a provider of care, manager of care and member of the profession
The A.A.S. degree in Nursing is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) and approved by the Ohio Board of Nursing.
Information on program outcomes, including NCLEX-RN pass rates, Job Placement rates and Program Completion rates are available.
Click for an informational brochure:
Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) Program Student Handbook
- RN to BSN degree program (offered by the College of Nursing)
- Ohio Board of Nursing
- Ohio League for Nursing
- Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN)
- National Student Nurses' Association
- National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN)
- NCSBN Learning Site
- National League for Nursing
- Clinical Requirements (PDF)