First-Year Student Admission

A first-year student has not attended any college, university, technical or proprietary school after graduation from high school. 

If you have taken college coursework while in high school (College Credit Plus), you will apply as a first-year student. 


1. Official high school transcript in a sealed letterhead envelope

  • If you're graduating from high school this year, you will also have to send a final high school transcript after graduation. To request official transcripts be sent, see instructions below.
  • GED recipients must submit official transcripts from a state's Department of Education website. To request official transcripts be sent, see instructions below.
  • Instead of a high school transcript, home school students have different requirements. *See instructions below.

2. ACT or SAT scores are optional, but recommended

  • ACT or SAT scores help your academic advisor determine which Kent State courses are best for you. If you've taken the ACT or SAT, we encourage you to submit your scores to Kent State Stark.

3. If applicable, official College Credit Plus transcripts

  • Transcripts should come from the college or university (not high school) from which college credit was awarded. To request official transcripts to be sent, see instructions below.



In addition to the above, home school students are required to supply the following:

  1. Written verification from your school district superintendent's office excusing you from compulsory attendance.
  2. Official portfolio/transcript documenting courses completed and grade received for grades 9-12 and showing high school graduation. This portfolio/transcript must be signed by the person or organization who provided the home schooling.  



Transcripts are considered official only if they arrive in a sealed letterhead envelope from a high school, college or university. Transcripts issued directly to the student will be accepted only if the envelope is unopened. Once the envelope seal has been broken by someone other than a university employee, the transcript becomes unofficial.

If the original school is mailing your transcript, send to:
Office of Admissions
Kent State University at Stark
6000 Frank Avenue NW
North Canton OH 44720

Electronic Transcripts

  • High schools can directly email transcripts to or send by Parchment to Kent State University, Kent, OH.
  • Parchment or electronic transcripts can be sent to Kent State University, Kent, OH.
  • Parchment and/or eScrip-Safe transcripts can be emailed to