Preparing for College Checklist
- Talk to your student about their interests and potential majors.
- Encourage your student to talk with their Guidance Counselor to make sure that your student is on track to graduate.
- Schedule a campus visit with your student at https://www.kent.edu/tusc/visitcampus
- Assist your student in finding opportunities to job shadow and explore potential career interests.
- Your student needs to Apply for Admission at Kent State Tuscarawas at https://www.kent.edu/tusc/apply
- Instruct your student to request their high school transcript. High school transcripts can be requested through your student’s high school guidance counselor and they can be sent to our Admissions Office at 330 University Drive NE New Philadelphia, OH 44663 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Encourage your student to begin researching 3rd party scholarships and apply to as many as possible. Your student’s high school guidance counselor may be able to refer you to local organizations or websites that provide scholarships.
- Work with your student to file their FAFSA beginning October 1st. Our campus hosts FAFSA Completion Workshops every October and November. Make sure to tell you student to keep their login information somewhere safe. They will need to reapply for their FAFSA every year.
- Remind your student that they need to log into their FlashLine account to monitor their Kent email for updates and to accept their financial aid package. Students are not to share their FlashLine login with anyone, including their parents. Talk to your student about allowing you access to their academic and financial records by signing a FERPA waiver. This can be accessed on their FlashLine account. Once your student grants that permission, you can sign up for your own KSUView account to log in and access specific student information that has been released. Find out more at: https://www.kent.edu/welcome-ksuview.
- Like and Follow Kent State Tuscarawas on Facebook and Instagram for updates. Encourage your student to do the same and join our Admitted Students Facebook Group, so they can connect with their peers.
- Ensure that your student takes their ALEKS math placement test. This can be accessed through your student’s FlashLine Account.
- Some majors at the Kent State Tuscarawas campus requires a separate application. Make sure your student is aware of any deadlines or field hours required for those applications.
- Check in that your student has registered for a KSU Advising & Registration session to register for their classes.
- At the end of the year, make sure your student requests that their final high school transcript be sent to our Admissions Office by mail or email.
Summer prior to your student’s first semester make sure they:
- Register and attend New Student Orientation
- Apply for on-campus jobs if they are interested.