University Housing Policy

While all students are encouraged to live on campus, the University Housing Policy requires all freshmen and sophomores to live in the residence halls and participate in the meal plan. Students who commute from the home of a parent or legal guardian within a 50-mile radius of campus may be exempt from the University Housing Policy. Students must complete the necessary Exemption Application/Clarification Form and receive written notification of approval from the Department of Housing Services in order to be officially exempt from the University Housing Policy. On-campus housing and the meal (board) plan is optional for students who have lived on campus for at least two academic years, have completed 60 semester credit hours or are 20 years of age by the first day of classes of the academic year.

Release of Residence Hall Contract

The Residence Hall Contract for Room and Dining Plan may be canceled only under the terms set forth in the contract. Please read your contract carefully prior to signing and submitting it. Cancellation may occur only until the opening day of the residence halls in August. Once the semester starts, the contract becomes binding for the full academic year.

Students with Disabilities

Special housing accommodations and room modifications are available for students with needs related to a disability. Wheelchair accessible rooms are available in several halls, including a limited number with private bathrooms. All students requiring disability-related accommodations must register with the Office of Student Accessibility Services prior to the request being honored. To register, students must schedule an appointment to meet with a disability specialist and provide appropriate medical documentation of their disability. Students are strongly encouraged to schedule this appointment and apply for housing as early as possible, as the number of accessible rooms is limited. Once students are living on campus, any request must be renewed for the following year through Student Accessibility Services if it is still medically needed. We encourage students to meet with their residence hall director for any questions related to accessibility or accommodations.

Winter Break

The residence hall contract covers only those periods of time when the residence halls are officially open. Housing for winter break is not covered by your residence hall contract, but is available for an additional charge. Students should watch for signs posted in the residence halls, as well as for information posted on the Housing Services website, regarding how to apply for winter break housing. Applications for winter break housing are typically available beginning in November.

Summer Housing

At least one residence hall remains open for the summer sessions. Applications for summer housing are typically available beginning in April. In order to reside in university housing during the summer sessions a students must be an active, admitted student working toward his or her degree. The costs for summer housing, information about accommodations and the application process will be posted on our website each spring semester.

Residence Hall Contract Renewal

Continuing residence hall students have the opportunity to select preferred residence halls and rooms for the next academic year prior to the onset of the room assignment processes for new incoming first year and transfer students. Information regarding the contract renewal process will be communicated to all students currently living in university residence halls via e-mail, letter or through direct communication from the residence hall staff in December and January. It is important that students carefully review and understand the contract renewal process in order to maximize their chances of obtaining their preferred residence hall assignment for the following academic year.