Winter Break Check Out
If you are not returning to the residence halls for the spring semester, the following procedures will help guide you through the process and ensure your student account is accurate.
REASONS FOR CHECKING OUT
You are likely aware that your contract with University Housing is for the entire academic year. Reasons for checking out include:
- Withdrawal from Kent State University. Please note, in order to check out, your hall director/area coordinator will need to see a schedule with zero scheduled hours at Kent State University for the spring semester.
- Transfer to another university. Please note, in order to check out, your hall director/area coordinator will need to see a schedule with zero scheduled hours at Kent State University for the spring semester.
- Transfer to a regional campus. You will need to complete a Petition for Contract Release as soon as possible, which should be approved as long as all of your hours for the spring semester are scheduled at a regional campus. Complete a Petition for Contract Release here. Your hall director will need to see an approved contract release in order for you to be able to check out.
- You have been granted a contract release. Please note, if you have not yet submitted a contract release petition, you may learn more here. Your hall director/area coordinator will need to see an approved contract release in order for you to be able to check out.
- You are graduating at the end of this semester. Please note, the Graduation office will share a list of all fall graduates with us.
- You plan to study abroad in the spring. Please note, you will need to complete a Petition for Contract Release, and show your hall director/area coordinator an approved contract release in order to be able to check out.
You must officially check out of your room. To do so, you will need to schedule an appointment with an RA. If your RA is not available, please contact your Residence Hall Director/Area Coordinator or Area Desk for information on how to contact an RA who can assist you.
AVOID EXTRA CHARGES
We want to complete the final room inspection/Room Condition Report (RCR) in your presence to avoid any misunderstanding about damages and charges. Failure to checkout with a University Housing staff member will result in an improper check-out charge of $25.00 being assessed to your Bursar account. Following the closing of the halls, an Official Damage Inspection of all rooms will be assessed by the Residence Hall Director/Area Coordinator. Any damage previously undetected by the RA, found during the Official Damage Inspection, will be charged to ALL room occupants residing in the room at the time of closing.
Before you contact your RA to check out, please remove all personal items and clean your room. This includes:
- Removal of any “Stars/tape”, etc. from ceiling, windows, and walls.
- Empty closets and drawers. Check upper sections of the closet and behind bottom drawers of dresser for items.
- Remove wall hangings.
- Remove any carpet and carpet tape you may have brought in carefully to avoid damage to floor tile.
- Sweep the floor (not into the hallway) and place debris in the trash.
- Clean, defrost, and unplug your micro-fridge (unless you have a roommate who is staying). Check for ice trays and micro-fridge turntable. Leave appliance doors OPEN.
- Close and lock windows and close draperies/blinds/shades.
- Empty trash cans/recycle bins and dispose of all trash in appropriate containers.
- Failure to remove all personal furniture (chairs, couches, desk, bricks, lumber, carpet, unwanted personal items) can result in a $50.00 minimum fine per item left in and around the residence halls. Discarded personal furniture must be placed beside the open top dumpster outside of your building to avoid being billed.
- All university property other than the equipment and furniture assigned to each room is to be returned to its original location. In addition, all furniture assigned to each room must be accounted for in each room.
- All beds that have been disassembled must be properly reassembled before you leave to avoid being charged. All bunked beds must use 4 bed pins. Remaining pins are to be placed in the top desk drawer for next year.
- Window screens must be in place.
BED LOFTS, RENTAL MICRO-FRIDGES
- If you are not returning for the spring semester, all personally built lofts must be disassembled by 8:00 PM the Friday before finals week, so as not to cause a disruption during 24 hour quiet hours of finals week. If you have a rental loft from Bedloft.com, these units will be picked up during the first week of break.
- Residents of Leebrick who are not returning for the spring semester: the Bedloft micro-fridge rental vendor will pick-up your rented micro-fridge during the first week of break. Please empty, clean, defrost, and unplug your micro-fridge before the last resident leaves your room. Leave micro-fridge door open.
DISPOSE OF TRASH AND UNWANTED BELONGINGS
Please properly dispose of all items you do not wish to take home. Garbage bags are available in the trash rooms if one is needed to assist with removal of trash. Outside of each hall, white dumpsters are used for general mixed recycling only. The large green dumpsters are for cardboard only.