Frequently Asked Questions | Kent State University

Frequently Asked Questions


How do I apply to live on campus?

The housing application is an online application that can be accessed at There is a $40 application fee assessed at the time you apply in addition to a $200 prepayment. At the end of the application, you will be given the opportunity to make these payments by Visa, MasterCard or Discover.

What items should I bring with me to campus?

Every room on campus is furnished with a bed, desk, and dresser for each student in addition to high-speed internet service and cable television hook-up. The student will need to provide the necessary cables to utilize the services provided. Additionally, students should bring bath essentials, extra long twin bedding, as well as any other personal items necessary. Please remember to keep toaster-ovens, candles, indoor grills, microwaves (Beall, Leebrick and McDowell residents are permitted to bring a microwave if it is under 700 watts), and torchiere-style lighting at home. For a more complete listing of items, please refer to our Hallways Manual. View our non-inclusive list of items to bring and items to leave at home.

Can I request my friend to be my roommate?

The housing application provides an area to request another individual to be your roommate. There is space to request up to three individuals (the first space should be used for your roommate request if you are interested in a double room. If you are interested in living in a triple room or a quad, please use the third and fourth roommate request fields). When filling out your application, please provide their full name and Kent State email address. Please note that housing assignments are made on a first come, first served basis. In addition to applying early, it also would be to the students' advantage to apply together. While every effort will be made to honor your request, we cannot guarantee that your request will be filled. All individuals wanting to be roommates must confirm their roommate request before July 1st when we begin assigning rooms for the upcoming academic year.

Do you have any triple rooms?

A limited number of triple rooms are offered in Centennial Court D, Centennial Court E, Centennial Court F, Johnson Hall and Stopher Hall. The housing application provides an area to request another individual to be your roommate, suitemate, floormate, or hallmate. There is space to request up to three individuals. When filling out your application, you would need to request both of your friends that you wish to live in a triple with in this location. Please provide their full names and Kent State email addresses. Each of your friends will need to also follow this step to ensure all three individuals are placed into the same triple room. Please note that housing assignments are made on a first come, first served basis. In addition to applying early, it would also be in the students' advantage to apply together. While every effort will be made to honor your request, we cannot guarantee that your request will be filled. Also, in order to be assigned to a triple in Johnson Hall or Stopher Hall all three individuals will need to be members of the Honors College.

How do I know if I'm required to live in the residence halls?

Kent State University Housing policy states that all students enrolled for nine or more credit hours at the Kent campus must live in university housing until they meet one of the following conditions:

  • have attempted 60 credit hours (junior standing) prior to the start of the academic year
  • are 20 years of age prior to the start of the academic year
  • have lived in university housing for four semesters
  • will live and travel to class from the primary residence of their parent or legal guardian residing within 50 miles of the University
  • have been granted an exemption from the Department of Residence Services

If the student's plans include commuting from home, they must submit a Mandatory Housing Exemption Application.


Additionally, if the student plans on living in University recognized Greek housing, the student must submit Greek exemption paperwork.

I am interested in a single room. How do I know if I'm eligible?

All students are eligible for a single room at Kent State University. Singles are available in Leebrick Hall and Centennial Court C. Freshmen and sophomores are welcome to reside in Leebrick Hall (floors 8-12) while students attaining junior status and beyond are eligible for Centennial Court C in addition to Leebrick Hall. While all students are eligible for single housing, we urge incoming students to take part in a living community that provides a roommate. Living with peers and making connections with other students is an integral part of the holistic education our students receive at the University. For further information on these or any of our residence halls, please visit our Residence Halls page.

I am interested in changing my room assignment. How can I make a change?

Students who lived on campus during the previous spring semester are able to change their room until the end of the contract renewal process. This can be done by simply logging into the contract renewal on-line system and changing your room and/or preferences. Once the contract renewal period has ended, returning residents may no longer change their room. If a returning resident still wishes to change rooms, they would need to wait until the room freeze period ends approximately the 15th day of the upcoming semester if space is available.
New incoming students are able to change their preferences, including hall preference, up until the point during the summer when their housing assignment is made.

Once an incoming student's housing assignment is made, he or she may no longer update his or her on-line application. Housing assignments are made based on the preferences a student indicates on his or her on-line application and room availability. Once a housing assignment is made, students will be able to view their assignment on-line by logging back into their on-line application. Summer room changes are not available to incoming students. If an incoming student wishes to make a room change, he or she will need to wait until approximately the 15th day of the upcoming semester if space is available.

During the academic year, room changes may be requested by visiting your Residence Hall Director or Assistant Residence Hall Director during his or her posted office hours. At the start of each semester, there is an approximately 15 day room freeze period where no room changes may occur. After this period room changes may occur if approved by your RHD or ARHD based on room availability.

I would like to have a microfridge in my room. How do I know if one is provided? If not, how may I rent one?

Many of our residence halls come equipped with a microfridge. They are provided in the following residence halls:

Allyn Hall, Beall Hall, Centennial Courts A-F, Clark Hall, Dunbar Hall, Fletcher Hall, Johnson Hall, Koonce Hall, Korb Hall, Lake Hall, Manchester Hall, McDowell Hall, Olson Hall, Prentice Hall, Stopher Hall, Verder Hall, Van Campen Hall, and Wright Hall.

If your residence hall is not equipped with a microfridge, you may rent one from Additionally, you may bring a small refrigerator unit that is five cubic feet or smaller.

Where will my mail be delivered?

Each Area Service Desk handles the mail for the residence halls in their area. When you check-in, you will be issued a mailbox and combination. Your Area Service Desk Staff will place mail in your mailbox daily unless there is no US Post Office delivery on a specific day (i.e. national holidays). If you receive a package too large to place in your mailbox, a package slip will be placed in your mailbox. If you receive a package slip, you will need to take the package slip and a photo ID to the Area Service Desk to sign for your package.

Mailbox locations:

Allyn, Clark, Fletcher and Manchester Halls – Lower Level of Eastway Center (near the bowling alley)
All Centennial Halls, Dunbar and Prentice Halls – Dunbar Lobby
Beall and McDowell Halls – Twin Towers Lobby
Engleman Hall – Dunbar Lobby
Korb Hall – Korb Lobby
Koonce, Leebrick and Wright Halls – Tri-Towers Rotunda
Verder Hall – Dunbar Lobby

What is my mailing address?

Mail is delivered to each of the area service desks and distributed to student’s mailboxes. Please refer to the Residence Hall Information page specific to the residence hall you are assigned to determine your mailing address.