Are you wondering what you should pack and what you shouldn't pack for your new on-campus room? Have you started to think about how you'll arrange and decorate your room? This page provides some basic information ranging from what is already provided in your residence hall room to recommendations from students of previous years.
Each residence hall room on campus comes furnished with the following items:
- Bed (Visit the Lofting Furniture page for lofting instructions)
- Mattress (extra-long twin 36"x 80")
- Desk and chair
- Cable TV connection
- High speed wireless internet connection
- Fridge/freezer/microwave unit (except for Leebrick Hall)
Additionally, each hall has a variety of public lounges many of which are equipped with televisions.
Full-size refrigerators are available in public areas within Leebrick Hall.
There are washers and dryers available in each hall or hall complex. These machines will operate at no additional cost to you.
The following lists are suggestions on what to bring based on previous residence hall students.
Bed and Bath Items:
- Bed sheets extra long twin – 36"x 80"
- Pillows/pillow cases
- Mattress Pad
- Shower Shoes/flip-flops
- Shower Tote/Caddy
- Soap, Shampoo/Conditioner
- Other Personal Toiletries
Electronics and Hardware:
Energy Star products are recommended.
Power strips, extension cords and other electronics must be Underwriters Laboratories, Inc. (UL) approved with the label not removed from the cord.
- Alarm Clock
- Coaxial Cable* (for your television)
- Fan* (for halls without A/C)
- Non-Halogen/Non-Torchiere Study Lamp
- Cell phone/charger
- A Few Non-Perishable Food Items
- Cookware, Utensils, Dishes, Napkins, Food Storage Containers
- Disinfectant wipes and/or spray
- Dish Soap
- Fabric Softener/Dryer Sheets
- Hand Sanitizer
- Paper towels
- Small ironing board/Iron with automatic shutoff*
- Laundry Basket & Detergent
- Backpack/Messenger Bag
- Clothes for the season
- Health insurance card
- Personal Medications
- School Supplies (notebooks, binders, pens, pencils, highlighters, stapler, tape, etc.)
Miscellaneous Room Items:
- 3-M Hooks (that do not damage walls when removed)
- Bicycle (some halls have bike rooms and/or bike racks)
- Bike Lock
- First Aid Kit (Band-aids, antibiotic ointment)
- Stacking Shelves/Storage Containers
- Small Tool Kit
- Small Fan
- Sports Equipment (Frisbee, football, basketball, etc.)
Please view this FAQ page for information about bringing carpet for your room.
Things to Leave at Home
(These items are prohibited on-campus)
- Any Lamp with Halogen Bulbs
- Any Pet that is NOT a Fish
- Electrical Devices with an Exposed Heating Coil
- Flexible Multi-Armed Floor Lamps
- In-door Grills (George Foreman™ types)
- Lava Lamps
- Nails for Hanging Items (please use sticky-tac or 3-M removable hooks instead)
- Rubber or Foam Backed Carpet
- Stand-Alone Freezer
- Space Heaters
- Torchiere Style Lamps/Multi-arm Style Lamps
- Window Air Conditioning Units
- Toaster Ovens/Hot Pots/Plates
- Toy Guns (i.e. BB or Airsoft)
- Weapons (real or fake that look real)
* items you may want to talk about with your roommate to avoid bringing duplicates.
If you have any additional questions about what items are permitted or prohibited within the residence halls, please reference our Hallways Handbook (on-campus housing policy handbook) or contact us at 330-672-7000.