More information regarding closing procedures for the spring 2020 semester will be available in April 2020.
Spring Semester Closing
Spring Break Housing
Residence Services offers housing through spring break as part of the residence hall contract. No special application or registration is required.
Summer Housing 2019
Summer housing is available to all Kent State students who will be taking summer classes and/or who are enrolled for fall classes. Summer housing for 2019 will be located in Leebrick Hall.
- Standard single room: $212 per week
- Deluxe single room: $228 (extremely limited availability)
Summer housing is contracted on a weekly basis starting Sunday and ending on Saturday each week. You may add or remove weeks from your summer housing application at any point by contacting us no later than the Friday before each summer week begins. Students who reside on campus during the spring semester will be able to move directly into their summer housing assignment if they are contracted for the first week of the intersession term. All residence hall policies will remain in effect throughout the summer.
Winter Break Housing
Kent State University's residence halls close at 5pm on Saturday, December 14, 2019. Students will not have access to residence halls during Winter Break; however, students can leave their belongings in their rooms during break assuming their plans are to return for the spring semester. Students should make sure they take home all items they will need during the break. Your RA will provide more in-depth information concerning winter break and hall closing procedures at a closing floor meeting before finals week. Please plan to attend this meeting.
If you are not returning to Kent State University for the spring semester (because of graduation, transfer, withdrawal, etc.) you need to contact your Residence Hall Director before finals week in order to schedule a checkout appointment. You will be able to check out during finals week within 24 hours of your last exam or Saturday if you are participating in graduation. For more information on checking out at the end of the fall semester, please see this page.
Kent State does offer winter break housing for students who need to stay on campus after 5pm on Saturday, December 14, 2019 and before 9am on Sunday, January 12, 2020. Only students with a housing assignment for the entire academic year (fall semester and spring semester) are eligible. Students who are withdrawing, transferring to a different university, studying abroad during the spring semester, or graduating in December are NOT eligible for winter break housing.
As long as a break housing application is completed, students are able to stay in their current fall semester room for the entire break period, or for as many days as needed, at a cost of $25/night, to be billed to each student's KSU Bursar account after the second week of the spring semester.
Please note, new students to campus who did not live on campus during the fall semester will be able to move into their rooms on Saturday before classes start, and will not need to complete a break housing application unless they need to arrive before Saturday, January 11, 2020. New students will first need to check in at their Area Desk to receive their room key.
For students who are interested in winter break housing, please review the information below:
- Meal plans are not active and dining choices on campus are limited during the break. Visit Dining Services' website for break dining information.
- The Residence Services main office in Korb Hall will be open during winter break on days that the University is open. Residence Hall Directors will maintain office hours during break; however, they may be out of the office at times due to their break/holiday plans.
- The security aide staff will be on duty each night of winter break. During winter break, Security Aides will be on duty between 8pm and 2:30am. The security aide staff can be reached at 330-672-7010.
- During winter break, the Area Desks are open from 8am until 5pm on days that the University is open.
- If you become locked out of your room during winter break during business hours, you will need to contact your area desk. If you become locked out during non-business hours, you can reach a break staff person on duty by calling the Tri-Towers Area Desk at 330-672-3244; this number will be forwarded to the hall director on duty when offices are closed.
- If you have a problem during winter break, during business hours, you may contact winter break staff through the Residence Services main office at 330-672-7000. During non-business hours, you can reach a break staff person on duty by calling the Tri-Towers Area Desk at 330-672-3244.
The residence halls will reopen after break on Sunday, January 12, 2020. Again, residents who need to arrive before this date, or stay later than 5pm on Saturday, December 14, 2020 should complete a winter break housing application.
Winter Break Check Out
If you are not returning to the residence halls for the spring semester, the following procedures will help guide you through the process and ensure your student account is accurate.
REASONS FOR CHECKING OUT
You are likely aware that your contract with Residence Services is for the entire academic year. Reasons for checking out include:
- Withdrawal from Kent State University. Please note, in order to check out, your hall director will need to see a schedule with zero scheduled hours at Kent State University for the spring semester.
- Transfer to another university. Please note, in order to check out, your hall director will need to see a schedule with zero scheduled hours at Kent State University for the spring semester.
- Transfer to a regional campus. You will need to complete a Petition for Contract Release as soon as possible, which should be approved as long as all of your hours for the spring semester are scheduled at a regional campus. Complete a Petition for Contract Release here. Your hall director will need to see an approved contract release in order for you to be able to check out.
- You have been granted a contract release. Please note, if you have not yet submitted a contract release petition, you may learn more here. Your hall director will need to see an approved contract release in order for you to be able to check out.
- You are graduating at the end of this semester. Please note, the Graduation office will share a list of all fall graduates with us.
- You plan to study abroad in the spring. Please note, you will need to complete a Petition for Contract Release, and show your hall director an approved contract release in order to be able to check out.
You must officially check out of your room. To do so, you will need to schedule an appointment with an RA. If your RA is not available, please contact your Residence Hall Director or Area Desk for information on how to contact an RA who can assist you.
AVOID EXTRA CHARGES
We want to complete the final room inspection/Room Condition Report (RCR) in your presence to avoid any misunderstanding about damages and charges. Failure to checkout with a Residence Services staff member will result in an improper check-out charge of $25.00 being assessed to your Bursar account. Following the closing of the halls, an Official Damage Inspection of all rooms will be assessed by the Residence Hall Director. Any damage previously undetected by the RA, found during the Official Damage Inspection, will be charged to ALL room occupants residing in the room at the time of closing.
Before you contact your RA to check out, please remove all personal items and clean your room. This includes:
- Removal of any “Stars/tape”, etc. from ceiling, windows, and walls.
- Empty closets and drawers. Check upper sections of the closet and behind bottom drawers of dresser for items.
- Remove wall hangings.
- Room automation items (window sensor, power strip, and others) should be left in the room.
- Remove any carpet and carpet tape you may have brought in carefully to avoid damage to floor tile.
- Sweep the floor (not into the hallway) and place debris in the trash.
- Clean, defrost, and unplug your micro-fridge (unless you have a roommate who is staying). Check for ice trays and micro-fridge turntable. Leave appliance doors OPEN.
- Close and lock windows and close draperies/blinds/shades.
- Empty trash cans/recycle bins and dispose of all trash in appropriate containers (recycle.
- Failure to remove all personal furniture (chairs, couches, desk, bricks, lumber, carpet, unwanted personal items) can result in a $50.00 minimum fine per item left in and around the residence halls. Discarded personal furniture must be placed beside the open top dumpster outside of your building to avoid being billed.
- All university property other than the equipment and furniture assigned to each room is to be returned to its original location. In addition, all furniture assigned to each room must be accounted for in each room.
- All beds that have been disassembled must be properly reassembled before you leave to avoid being charged. All bunked beds must use 4 bed pins. Remaining pins are to be placed in the top desk drawer for next year.
- Window screens must be in place.
- If you use a residence hall key instead of your FlashCard to access your hall, your residence hall key must be returned to the Area Desk when you officially check out of your room. The cost of key-card replacement is $25.00 per key-card.
BED LOFTS, RENTAL MICRO-FRIDGES
- If you are not returning for the spring semester, all personally built lofts must be disassembled by 8:00 PM the Friday before finals week, so as not to cause a disruption during 24 hour quiet hours of finals week. If you have a rental loft from Bedloft.com, these units will be picked up during the first week of break.
- Residents of Leebrick who are not returning for the spring semester: the Bedloft micro-fridge rental vendor will pick-up your rented micro-fridge during the first week of break. Please empty, clean, defrost, and unplug your micro-fridge before the last resident leaves your room. Leave micro-fridge door open.
DISPOSE OF TRASH AND UNWANTED BELONGINGS
Please properly dispose of all items you do not wish to take home. Garbage bags are available in the trash rooms if one is needed to assist with removal of trash. Outside of each hall, white dumpsters are used for general mixed recycling only. The large green dumpsters are for cardboard only.
Winter Break Room Changes
Thank you for your interest in completing a winter break room change! Please use the form below to express your interest in this process. This form will remain open until Sunday, December 15 at 5pm.
After completing this form, you may be contacted during finals week, or potentially before, to complete a room change before departing for the semester, if space is available and if you are able. Otherwise, your Residence Hall Director will contact you on Tuesday, December 17 to see if you are interested in moving into any of our available spaces on December 18-19. Completing this interest form does not mean that the space you desire will be available.
Winter break room changes will be limited to the availability of vacant rooms as of December 17. If a previous resident has not properly checked out or is waiting to complete a winter break room change of their own, some spaces may not be available for a winter break room change.
Once we contact you, if you are interested in any available rooms and we initiate a room change, you will need to schedule a time between 8am-3pm on December 18-19 to complete the process, and you will be given a 2-hour window to move. Our staff will provide you with specific instructions on how to complete your winter break room change.
By completing this form indicating your interest in a winter break room change, you will not be billed the nightly $35 winter break rate until the night of December 19, should you need to stay past the time our winter break room change period ends and should you not be able to move during finals week or before.
Should you not be interested in any available options at the end of the semester or should you not be able to complete a winter break room change, we may have additional space available during the spring semester. Beginning at the start of the 3rd week of the spring semester, please check with your Residence Hall Director to inquire about a spring semester room change.
You can access the Fall 2019 Winter Break Room Change Interest Form here.
- Future Residents
- Current Residents
- Residence Halls
- Department Information