How do I know if I'm required to live in the residence halls?
Kent State University Housing policy states that all students enrolled for nine or more credit hours at the Kent campus must live in university housing until they meet one of the following conditions:
- have attempted 60 credit hours (junior standing) prior to the start of the academic year
- are 20 years of age prior to the start of the academic year
- have lived in university housing for four semesters
- will live and travel to class from the primary residence of their parent or legal guardian residing within 50 miles of the University
- have been granted an exemption from the Department of Residence Services
If the student's plans include commuting from home, they must submit a Mandatory Housing Exemption Application.
Additionally, if the student plans on living in University recognized Greek housing, the student must submit Greek exemption paperwork.