One of the most important documents you will receive for each of your classes is the syllabus. Read on to learn why it is important and what to do with it.
Why is it important?
- It is the informal contract between the student and the instructor.
- It outlines what is expected from the student during the semester.
- It should provide important due dates and clearly outline the expectations of the instructor with regard to projects, assignments, and other items worthy of a grade.
What to do with the syllabus
- Keep it in a safe place where it will be highly visible.
- Look at it and read it regularly so you are aware of when assignments are due.
- If you have any questions or need clarification, be sure to ask your instructor.
Other information about the syllabus
- Utilize the syllabus in each course.
- Every syllabus will be somewhat different because each instructor is different so pay attention to detail.