Winter Break Housing
Kent State University's residence halls close at 5pm on Saturday, December 14, 2019. Students will not have access to residence halls during Winter Break; however, students can leave their belongings in their rooms during break assuming their plans are to return for the spring semester. Students should make sure they take home all items they will need during the break. Your RA will provide more in-depth information concerning winter break and hall closing procedures at a closing floor meeting before finals week. Please plan to attend this meeting.
If you are not returning to Kent State University for the spring semester (because of graduation, transfer, withdrawal, etc.) you need to contact your Residence Hall Director before finals week in order to schedule a checkout appointment. You will be able to check out during finals week within 24 hours of your last exam or Saturday if you are participating in graduation. For more information on checking out at the end of the fall semester, please see this page.
Kent State does offer winter break housing for students who need to stay on campus after 5pm on Saturday, December 14, 2019 and before 9am on Sunday, January 12, 2020. Only students with a housing assignment for the entire academic year (fall semester and spring semester) are eligible. Students who are withdrawing, transferring to a different university, studying abroad during the spring semester, or graduating in December are NOT eligible for winter break housing.
As long as a break housing application is completed, students are able to stay in their current fall semester room for the entire break period, or for as many days as needed, at a cost of $35/night, to be billed to each student's KSU Bursar account after the second week of the spring semester.
Please note, new students to campus who did not live on campus during the fall semester will be able to move into their rooms on Saturday before classes start, and will not need to complete a break housing application unless they need to arrive before Saturday, January 12, 2020. New students will first need to check in at their Area Desk to receive their room key.
For students who are interested in winter break housing, please review the information below:
- Meal plans are not active and dining choices on campus are limited during the break. Visit Dining Services' website for break dining information.
- The Residence Services main office in Korb Hall will be open during winter break on days that the University is open. Residence Hall Directors will maintain office hours during break; however, they may be out of the office at times due to their break/holiday plans.
- The security aide staff will be on duty each night of winter break. During winter break, Security Aides will be on duty between 8pm and 2:30am. The security aide staff can be reached at 330-672-7010.
- During winter break, the Area Desks are open from 8am until 5pm on days that the University is open.
- If you become locked out of your room during winter break during business hours, you will need to contact your area desk. If you become locked out during non-business hours, you can reach a break staff person on duty by calling the Tri-Towers Area Desk at 330-672-3244; this number will be forwarded to the hall director on duty when offices are closed.
- If you have a problem during winter break, during business hours, you may contact winter break staff through the Residence Services main office at 330-672-7000. During non-business hours, you can reach a break staff person on duty by calling the Tri-Towers Area Desk at 330-672-3244.
The residence halls will reopen after break on Sunday, January 12, 2020. Again, residents who need to arrive before this date, or stay later than 5pm on Saturday, December 14, 2020 should complete a winter break housing application.