- Academic Departments
- Academic Success Center
- Academic Learning Center, Columbiana Campus
- Academic Advising - Undergraduate
- Academic STARS
- Academic Testing Services
- Academic Transfer
- Academic Quality Improvement Project (AQIP)
- Accounting, Department of
- Accounts Payable
- Accessibility Services
- Administrative Offices
- Adult Students
- Advanced Placement Program
- Aerospace Studies/Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corp
- Affirmative Action Office
- Air Force ROTC
- Alma Mater
- Alumni Relations
- Animal Research
- Annual Kent State Symposium on Democracy
- Apps, Kent State
- Anthropology, Department of
- Architecture and Environmental Design, College of
- Architect's Office
- Army ROTC
- Art, School of
- Art Education
- Arts and Sciences, College of
- Arts, College of the
- Ashtabula Campus
Visit this web page for advisory updates.
Note: If you have recently received a FlashAlert or an email about a current campus advisory, please allow ten to 15 minutes for this Web page to reflect the related advisory information and additional details. The text alert is sent first, followed by an email and then the post to this web page.
While the safety of our people is our priority, in general the university does not close or cancel classes because of cold weather, winter ice and/or snow. However, there are those rare occasions when weather conditions may delay or cancel classes, or close the Kent Campus. (Note: Kent State University's Regional Campuses will follow the general guidelines below, but each campus makes its own decisions based on weather conditions near their campuses.)
When snow and/or ice threatens, or extreme cold prevails, we expect to announce our actions by 5:30 a.m. for morning and all-day cancellations, 10 a.m. for afternoon classes and 3 p.m. for evening classes. In general, our decision will be guided by the condition of major roadways leading to campus, by the condition of campus roadways and sidewalks, and by our ability to shovel our parking lots. For extreme cold, we will delay or cancel when the wind chill reaches (or is predicted to reach) -20 degrees Fahrenheit for an extended period.
There are three ways to learn about delays, class cancellations or campus closings:
- FlashALERTS message and FlashLine email. You can subscribe to FlashALERTS at www.kent.edu/flashalerts.
- Kent State website. (A red bar containing an announcement will appear on the top of the home page if there is a cancellation or closing.)
- Television and radio broadcasts.
- When classes are cancelled, university services remain open. This means that staff members are expected to report to work as usual.
- Employees and commuting students should always employ sound personal judgments regarding the safety of their travel when deciding whether or not to report to work or classes. Students must arrange to make up missed work promptly; university leave policy governs the reporting and recording of work absences.
- Students in special classes, such as clinical rotations, should consult with their dean on the appropriate procedures for an early morning delay or cancellation.
- A closing order from the Governor’s Office applies to state office buildings and other state employees in the field. Colleges and universities do not fall into this category.
College of Nursing
If the Kent Campus is closed, nursing students do not do clinicals. Students should stay in touch with their faculty who will let clinical placement personnel know of student changes.
College of Podiatric Medicine
If you are a KSU-CPM student and or support CFAC, in many instances, the Kent Campus and Regional Academic Center closures do not apply to CPM. Always reference the College of Podiatric Medicine website to verify status.
Kent Student Center
When the university cancels classes on the Kent Campus due to inclement weather, the Kent Student Center (KSC) will remain open. However, if conditions warrant, the administration may choose to adjust operational hours or close entirely. Non-academic events reserved through the University Events and Conference Services office will also be canceled campus-wide. Notification of facility closure will be posted on the Kent Student Center website and social media outlets.
Student Recreation and Wellness Center
When the university cancels class on the Kent Campus due to inclement weather, all programs held within the Student Recreation and Wellness Center (SRWC) are also canceled. If conditions warrant, the administration may choose to close the SRWC. Notification of the facility closure will be posted on the department's website and social mediums.
The University Library is open with limited services when campus is closed.