Kent State’s Home Page and FlashLine Student Portal Enhanced for Better User Experience
This fall, Kent State University students, faculty and staff will notice an improved online experience. Lead organizations Information Services and University Communications and Marketing (in partnership with the University Registrar, Undergraduate Studies, Graduation Planning System and other campus departments) recently launched enhancements to FlashLine and the Kent State website, just in time for the start of the semester.
“With mobile Web browsing now a common day experience, continuously improving Web access is critical, regardless of the type of device, search capabilities or richness of content, “ says Ed Mahon, vice president for information services and chief information officer.
“We’re very pleased that we can offer students, faculty, staff and visitors a more robust online experience, no matter what device they use to access the web,” says Iris Harvey, vice president for university relations.
Kent State Home Page: Smartphone and Tablet Improvements
- The Kent State home page has been rebuilt to include better support for tablets and smartphones.
- Users will now notice that the Kent State home page fits their device’s screen and includes all of the features of the desktop version, including Success Stories, news, social media and events.
- A menu in the upper-left corner provides easy access to Maps, Directory and FlashLine, as well as the familiar kent.edu main navigation options.
- A search button in the upper right corner allows access to searching the Kent State website.
- Research and user testing was performed with students, faculty and staff to ensure a good user experience and functionality across all devices.
FlashLine Student Tools & Courses Tab
- Based on user feedback, FlashLine’s Student Tools & Courses tab, where students manage their schedule, grades, course registration, graduation planning and advising, is more logically organized.
- Frequently used tools are now more accessible, with icons that allow for faster identification.
- Unused tools have been eliminated or reduced on the tab, leaving more room for the tools that students said are most important.
- A new GPS and advising section allows students to easily schedule an advising appointment and access their graduation roadmaps.
- Academic calendars and important deadlines are now highlighted in their own area on the tab.
- A built in “sync” tool for Blackboard Learn allows students with missing courses to synchronize their student account with their Blackboard courses, reducing the need to contact Tech Help.
- FlashLine now has a link to Google Drive (formerly Google Docs) in the top toolbar, providing immediate access to cloud-based storage of documents, spreadsheets, presentations and more.
FlashLine Login Page: Mobile and Tablet Improvements
- With an increasing number of students accessing FlashLine on their mobile devices, FlashLine’s login page at http://flashline.kent.edu has been enhanced to fit the screen size of any device.
- Users on smartphones will notice that they no longer have to pinch and zoom in order to log in.
- The new FlashLine login page will be integrated into the new Kent State home page as well.
Additionally, better smartphone experiences have already been made available through the School of Journalism and Mass Communication (www.kent.edu/jmc) and via the KSUmobile app (www.kent.edu/ksumobile).
Questions about Kent State’s Web presence? Email email@example.com.