Coronavirus FAQs - Academic Students

Summer 2020

Summer classes: Will they be remote or in-person?
  • Kent State will continue with our robust summer offerings during Summer I (June 4-July 8) and Summer II (June 4-July 29) by remote instruction (synchronous and asynchronous) only. Moreover, any other scheduled summer course that begins before July 9 will be delivered through remote instruction only.
  • Summer III classes will primarily be delivered through remote instruction. However, a few courses, as approved by the Provost, will be delivered in person.
  • For questions about summer courses, students should contact the department chair or faculty member of the course.
  • Decisions about clinicals, practica and internships will be made on an ongoing basis in consultation with chairs and directors of the academic program areas.

View the Reopening Phases

Spring 2020

Where do I find information regarding course withdrawal dates, pass/fail grades and re-adding a course?
  • The course withdrawal date has been extended to April 28.
  • Students who withdrew from a course between March 10 and April 1 can re-add the class by April .
  • Students can also opt to take many courses for Pass/Fail (deadline is May 18).
  • For more details please visit
Can I submit both a Pass/Fail request and take an incomplete for the same course?

No, you can choose one or the other, but not both.

  • If you are unsure which might be in your best interest, please reach out to your instructor and discuss an incomplete versus a Pass/Fail.
  • Please keep in mind that an incomplete adds to your workload in a subsequent semester.
    • If you choose an incomplete, your final grade will be a letter grade (A through F) and will be calculated in your GPA.
  • A Pass/Fall will not be calculated in your GPA.
Will nursing, CATS and CPM clinicals continue?

Effective March 13, 2020, all College of Nursing (BSN, MSN, DNP, PhD) clinicals are suspended until April 13, 2020 at which time we will re-evaluate. This includes the BSN at regionals (Stark, Trumbull, Geauga and Salem). For those of you who anticipate a May graduation, we are working to ensure that your graduation will be on time. College of Nursing Students please contact Dr. Tracey Motter (BSN Kent Campus) at 330-672-8784 or Dr. Wendy Umberger (MSN/DNP/PhD Kent Campus) at 330-672-8813. Access additional questions and answers on the College of Nursing website.

College of Applied and Technical Studies Nursing and Allied Health Programs (ADN, Rad Tech, OTA, PTA, and RESP Therapy) clinicals are suspended until further notice.

The College of Podiatric Medicine will continue clinical rotations, in line with all of the colleges of podiatric medicine (CPM) around the country. The continuance of clinical rotations is in compliance with the individual hospital requirements. Most institutions are limiting Podiatric Medical students from treating patients with active respiratory infections.

I am scheduled to defend my dissertation/thesis. How do I proceed?

Given the suspension of face-to-face instruction and mitigation efforts to break the cycle of contagion of the COVID-19 virus, thesis and dissertation defenses and pre-defenses may be held with all members of the committee and the candidate participating remotely. Students who are scheduled to defend their dissertation or thesis prior to April 13 should contact their dissertation/thesis committee chair as soon as possible. Arrangements will be made for your defense to be held remotely. For a copy of our guiding principles and guidelines, go to the Graduate Studies home page.

What is the policy if I'm studying in New York City?

The NYC Studio WILL be following the same schedule as shared by Main Campus in regards to remote instruction.

Important updated NYC Studio specific information:

  • March 16-20: NYC Studio classes will resume via remote instruction, as announced on Tuesday, March 10.
  • March 23-29: Spring break will occur as scheduled.
  • March 30-End of Spring Semester: NYC Studio classes will be held via remote instruction.
  • Studio Access: You may access the Studio next Wednesday, March 18, 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. to get your course materials, supplies, personal belongings, etc. All of your belongings should be removed from the Studio during this time.

See the full email with additional details about about key cards, internships, housing and travel..


Academic Continuity: Where can students find related resources?

Academic continuity refers to the continuation of courses (programs, degrees). In the case of an on-campus emergency (weather, pandemic), academic continuity for classes on campus may not be able to be ensured unless other teaching modalities, including remote delivery, are considered.

Information on remote instruction for students, including access instructions and technology resources, is at For technology issues, contact TechHelp by either submitting a support ticket or via Live Chat with support staff. You can also call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 330-672-HELP. 

Academic Advising: How can students schedule appointments?

Advising and career guidance will be fully accessible. Your academic advisor is always ready and willing to discuss your Kent State journey and to help you plan for your academic career and beyond. Schedule an appointment to meet with your academic advisor by visiting KSU Advising and selecting a time and day to meet. Appointments are available virtually, so you can meet with your advisor from home or your residence hall room if you prefer. Schedule an appointment with an advisor.

Tutoring: How can students access the Academic Success Center?

Free virtual tutoring and Supplemental Instruction study groups will be offered through the Academic Success Center (ASC), where our student tutors are available to help you to achieve your academic goals. Refer to the ASC website for information on scheduled tutoring online, drop-in tutoring online, the e-Tutoring service and supplemental instruction online. Contact the ASC at or 330-672-3190 with questions. For Regional Campus tutoring services, please contact your campus for information regarding available resources.

Additionally, students who need assistance learning how to navigate remote and online classes, can sign up for free Coaching.

Writing Commons: Are there remote options for writing appointments?

Although the Writing Commons physical locations are closed, we are continuing to help all students in all programs on any Kent State campus. Regardless of class rank, whether you are CCP student a doctoral candidate or a student elsewhere in your academic journey, you can rely on the Writing Commons for help with any project that includes writing.

  • We offer tutoring sessions remotely (synchronously and asynchronously) through email, Google Meet and Chat, and Teams.
  • Highly-trained tutors will be available seven days a week (12 hours a day during the work week). 

Schedule an online appointment


Student Accessibility Services: How can students access services?

SAS is open during regular business hours: Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. You can call SAS at 330-672-3391 or email However, there will be no face-to-face proctoring during the period of remote instruction, and all student meetings will be conducted by phone. Students can update or send their course accessibility letters using Access KSU using the typical process.

Are the art studio spaces available to students during the campus closure?

The studio spaces for all students are shared spaces, where it is impossible to abide by social distancing guidelines. This means the art studio spaces are closed and art students’ research will not be possible to take place in the College of the Arts buildings. 

Military Call-Up: What are the guidelines for processes and procedures?