Grading Options Available to Students

Dear Golden Flashes,

We know these are challenging times, and we are here to help you stay on track with your coursework and continue on the path to your degree. If you find that you are struggling in any way, please reach out to your instructor to discuss your progress in the course, and to your academic advisor about other options you may have. In talking with your advisor, you may determine the best choice between keeping with the class, withdrawing, requesting an incomplete or pursuing the Pass/Fail grade if available for a specific course.

In this letter, we are providing updates regarding the Pass/Fail policy as well as other pertinent information regarding withdrawal and incomplete grades. Please review and reach out to the One Stop for Student Services on the Kent Campus or the student services department on your Regional Campus with any questions.


We have modified the policy regarding Pass/Fail grading for undergraduate and graduate courses taken in summer 2020, fall 2020 and spring 2021.

Program areas may restrict specific letter-graded courses in a student’s program from being approved for the Pass/Fail grade (see the list of program restrictions). In addition, there will be limitations on how many courses you can request Pass/Fail, and the letter grade you earn will be used for course prerequisites and program requirements. All information on the Pass/Fail grade option, including limitations and FAQ, can be found on the Pass/Fail Interim Policy website

Summer 2020: Requests for the Pass/Fail grade for summer 2020 courses may be submitted now until Sunday, Nov. 15, 2020. In addition to Pass/Fail requests, we are allowing both late adds to the summer 2020 graduation list and late drops of fall 2020 courses. If you are now eligible to graduate for summer 2020 and/or no longer need to be in a fall semester course due to electing the Pass/Fail grade for a summer course, you will receive 100% tuition credit for your fall registration. You must contact your academic advisor to begin the process. Only your advisor can submit your Pass/Fail request for summer.

Fall 2020 and Spring 2021: You will be notified when you can start requesting the Pass/Fail grade for fall 2020 and spring 2021 courses. More detailed information will come.


As a reminder, the deadline to withdraw from a full-term fall semester course is Wednesday, Nov. 4, 2020 (see the Student Printable Schedule and Textbooks in FlashLine for the withdrawal deadline for flexibly scheduled courses).


Your instructor may submit an incomplete request for you if you feel you are unable to complete the required work in the class between the withdrawal deadline and the end of classes. You must talk to your instructor to see if this is a viable option for you. The incomplete option is available to students who have a passing grade at week 10 of the semester. Only your instructor can submit your incomplete request.

Before making any final decisions on the Pass/Fail option, incomplete option or withdrawing from a course, please contact the One Stop for Student Services or the student services department on your campus to discuss the impact of your choice on your academic progress, enrollment status and financial aid eligibility.

My best,

Melody Tankersley, Ph.D.
Interim Senior Vice President and Provost

POSTED: Friday, October 16, 2020 - 10:59am
UPDATED: Friday, October 16, 2020 - 10:59am