President Obama Visits Kent State on Sept. 26
President Barack Obama was a special guest of the Kent State College Democrats for a campaign rally Wednesday, Sept. 26, at Kent State University’s Memorial Athletic and Convocation Center (MAC Center).
Tickets were required for entrance. Tickets were distributed Sept. 24 on a first-come, first-served basis and are no longer available.
Watch It Live
Those who were unable to get a ticket to the event, were able to watch the president’s speech on Kent State TV2, which can be seen on channel 16 in most of Portage County, as well as at www.kentwired.com.
The majority of tickets distributed to the event were given to Kent State students, who either already live on campus, walk to campus or have parking passes. For guests to the Kent State campus, parking was available in commuter lots along Summit Street (by the Schwartz Center across from the Kent Student Center and by the Liquid Crystal Materials Science Building). The university encouraged all who attended the event to carpool and arrive early.
What You Need to Know: How Presidential Visit Affects Kent State Students, Faculty, Staff and Campus Visitors
In preparation of Wednesday’s presidential visit, members of the Kent State community and visitors to the campus needed to be aware of the following:
- Kent State University Library will not be affected.
- Kent Student Center will remain open with possible restrictions on Wednesday.
- Gym Annex will be open for activities on Tuesday and Wednesday with no access to the MAC Center.
- Residence halls will not be affected.
- MAC Center activities will be affected Tuesday and closed Wednesday.
- Allow extra time for all activities adjacent to and around the MAC Center beginning Monday evening.
- Parking in the R-11 lot behind the Kent Student Center and MAC Center will be closed at 11 p.m. Tuesday and will remain closed on Wednesday.
- The R-3 lot next to Taylor Hall will be closed starting 11 p.m. Tuesday and will remain closed Wednesday.
- Manchester Field will be open to foot traffic throughout Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Midway Drive from Theatre Drive to the MAC Center will be closed starting 11 p.m. Tuesday and will remain closed Wednesday. Foot traffic can continue on the east side of the road and to all buildings in that area.
- There will be limited access to Williams Drive on Wednesday.
- Foot traffic around the MAC Center will be restricted on Wednesday.
- Visitor parking and metered parking in front of the MAC Center will be limited on Wednesday.
- Classes held in all other buildings will go on as scheduled.
View Kent State campus maps
This advertisement is not an endorsement by the university for any political party.