Welcome Weekend Sets New Students on Path to Success
Welcome Weekend, Kent State University’s four-day new student orientation, will take place from Aug. 24-27. Students can select from approximately 50 different events from Thursday to Sunday. The weekend event helps students transition into the university community and learn about academic and social opportunities at Kent State.
“Welcome Weekend is a great way for students to get connected and plugged into our campus community right away,” said Josh Perkins, Kent State’s assistant director for Student Success Programs. “We intentionally offer a wide variety of events, so that the vast majority of our students can find something of interest. Additionally, Welcome Weekend is a great opportunity for our students to connect with each other and with current students. We encourage everyone to attend as many events as they can.”
Move-in day begins Thursday, Aug. 24, with several events continuing through Sunday, Aug. 27. Welcome Weekend is a requirement for first-year students, although students are not required to attend all events.
Required events for students include:
Thursday, Aug. 24:
- 10 a.m.-8 p.m. – Welcome Weekend Check-In (Kent Student Center Ballroom)
Friday, Aug. 25:
- 7-8 a.m. – Commuter and Off-campus Students Check-In (Kent Student Center, second floor)
- 8-9 a.m. – Commuter Student Informational (Kent Student Center Ballroom)
- 9:30-10 a.m. – Dean’s Welcome (Various locations; students will get information at check-in)
- 10:30 a.m. – Convocation (Memorial Athletic and Convocation Center)
- 11:45 a.m.-12:45 p.m. – First-Year Experience Lunch (Kent Student Center)
- 1 p.m. – First-Year Experience Course First Meeting (Various locations; students will get information at check-in)
- 2 p.m. – Common Reading Discussion (Various locations; students will get information at check-in)
Saturday, Aug. 26:
- 8:30-10:30 a.m. – Ambassadors in Action (various locations)
- 10:30-11:30 a.m. – THIS IS KENT STATE! (Memorial Athletic and Convocation Center; students participating in Ambassadors in Action are exempt from this session)
Students can enjoy several other activities during Welcome Weekend, including Discover Downtown from 11:30 a.m.-2 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 26, a stage performance by hypnotist Michael C. Anthony from 10-11 p.m. in the Kent Student Center Ballroom, movies and more.
Additionally, Blastoff, which will take place on Sunday, Aug. 27, from 6-9:30 p.m., concludes Welcome Weekend. This event gives students the opportunity to learn about and connect with more than 200 student organizations. Students also can enjoy hot air balloon rides, inflatables, music and a laser light show. Aramark, Kent State’s new dining vendor, will serve free food samples from Fresco, Grazers and Starbucks; and Fork in the Road, the Kent State Dining Services’ food truck, also will serve food during Blastoff.
A complete listing of events and the schedule can be found online at the official Welcome Weekend website. You also can download the Kent State Welcome Weekend app.